Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can it all be just a mistake?


For over a year I have been writing about the rockets that are fired and have been fired into the city of Sderot in Israel from Hamas in Gaza.  These rockets have no guidance system in them.  It is point, fire, hope that they kill someone.  What they really do is to instill terror into a CIVILIAN POPULATION.

For 8 long years these rockets have fallen, they are falling now even though there is suppose to be a cease-fire in effect.

I received this letter last night.  The author, Itzik Yarkoni asked me to pass this along to you, my readers.
With the result that Goldstone present to the UN Hamas’ response to the Goldstone report that the missiles sent to Israel were “by mistake”, I want to know if you would be interested in publishing my personal testimonial of life under Palestinian rocket fire, or life under the Hamas’ “mistakes.

Can it all be just a mistake?

By Itzik Yarkoni

Thursday, February 3, 2010, Jerusalem

Hamas officials said that a 52-page document has been compiled to testify that the offensive missiles fired during Operation Cast lead were “an accident” due to their weapon’s lack of aiming capabilities toward military installations.

However, section 1687 of the “Goldstone Report” presents that, “indeed, Palestinian armed groups, among them Hamas, have publicly expressed their intention to target Israel civilians…. claimed responsibility for the deaths of each of the Israeli civilians killed by rocket fired during the operations in Gaza”.

This begs the question: If Hamas weapon’s suffer from inaccuracy, maybe the information that was given to Goldstone is also off target?

I remember the first time that I heard about Sapir college was when I was traveling in the United States after the army. When I asked about the whereabouts of the college, a friend replied, “It is a nice place next to Sderot. However, the situation is a little strange. Rockets are launched towards the city daily”. I did not know what lay ahead for me at Sapir College, but I decided that I would take the risk. After all, I figured something would be done, eventually, to stop the rockets.

Eight years have passed since the first rocket was launched towards Sderot. The situation has not changed, I was wrong. More than ten thousand kassam missiles, grad, and mortar shells have been fired from Gaza, of which eighty-four fell in Sderot during Operation Cast Lead. Moreover, the “military installations” Hamas speaks of are nowhere to be found in the city. Where exactly were the rockets intended to fall?

I have witnessed firsthand the "mistakes" that have not only produced several deaths, but continue to affect hundreds, if not a thousands, of people with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSD) as a result of the constant threat of incoming rocket attacks to the city.

What has been the result of the poor aiming capabilities of Hamas rockets?

As a student in Sderot, I awoke every morning to begin the usual routine of my day. However, my routine was not morning coffee and a newspaper. My routine, drenched with fear, caution, and preparation for the next rocket aimed towards my city, was different than the average student from other areas of the world.

Like clockwork, I was awoken at the same time, with the same target hit, and with the same color red alarm. This alarm notified me that I had only 15 seconds to take cover of my life. As I ran to the nearest bomb shelter, I passed the same children on their way to school. Once inside the crammed shelter, I heard the whistle.

That whistle of a rocket falling to my direction quickly became an all too familiar sound. Maybe this time the rocket will fall in my neighborhood? Maybe this time it will land in the home of someone that I know?

While waiting in a bomb shelter, praying for safety, the fire continued. It was not one rocket, or one “mistake”, that came to my direction. Many mistakes were fired towards me through the city. According to the Sderot Media Center, “Palestinian rockets directly hit more than 1,500 Israeli homes and buildings in the south. Three synagogues were hit, in addition to nine educational facilities, which include high schools, kindergartens, and elementary schools.

Can these cases actually be a malfunction in Hamas’ original plan?

After a day full of color red alarms, or after three weeks of 140 alarms during the Operation, the residents of Sderot and myself gathered to listen to the news. We heard about the mistakes that hit our loved one's homes, the mistakes that kept children from going to school the next day, and the mistakes that are expected to continue.

As a student and as a resident, we had to use our nights to recover from our day. There was homework to be done, relationships to build, our homes that we needed to continue to keep alive. We had to continue to live. However, our nights were full of their mistakes as well, for the nightly news had the highest Sderot ratings, and Hamas chose without fail to use that time for mistakes as well.

Maybe I shouldn't complain, for if Hamas had indeed aimed correctly, the extent of the destruction, the mental disorders, the loss of hope would be far greater. With that, I must say I have luck.
Last week Hamas issued a statement saying that the rocket attacks on Israel were not aimed at civilian centers in Israel, only military ones. (Somebody check the woods for constipated bears, and check Rome, the Pope has converted to Judaism.)

They retracted it a day later.

Make no mistake, the so-called Palestinians have a single goal:
The total destruction of the State of Israel and the death of every Jew living in the land.
To achieve this goal they will lie, cheat, steal, and murder anyone who gets in their way.

You can help in the battle against Hamas.  Become vocal.  Don't be silent on this subject.  Let others know about what is and has been happening to Sderot.  Tell your family, friends, church/synagogue,  pastor/rabbi, your Congressman or woman, your Senator, the President, your local newspaper.  But don't be silent!

Secondly, remember people like Itzik Yarkoni and the other residents of Sderot in your prayers.  You could sign up for Code Red Alerts, reminding you of the terror the men, women, and especially the children experience every day.

How long does any people have to be terrorized by the neighborhood bully before they will strike back?

3 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

"To achieve this goal they will lie, cheat, steal, and murder anyone who gets in their way."

Which, thankfully, wasn't enough so far ;-)

Right Truth said...

The Goldstone report was pathetic.

The problem is the media and many politicians are so one sided, against Israel.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Maggie Thornton said...

The Goldstone report is a joke. Hamas looks straight in the face of the left and lies as outrageously as possible. It's a game to them.

Love the constipated bear and the Jewish Pope:-)