Monday, November 24, 2008

The Mysterious Piano

On February 3, 1992 the world was treated to a new form of conceptual art created on the TV show Northern Exposure by the character Chris Stevens (played by John Corbett). Originally he wanted to fling a cow from his trebuchet, he was told by Ed Chigliak (played by Darren Burrows) that it was originally done by Monty Python. A little dejected he finally got his break with this doozie of an idea.

Let's fling a piano.
Chris: “I've been here now for some days, groping my way along, trying to realize my vision here. I started concentrating so hard on my vision that I lost sight. I've come to find out that it's not the vision, it's not the vision at all. It's the groping. It's the groping, it's the yearning, it's the moving forward. I was so fixated on that flying cow that when Ed told me Monty Python already painted that picture, I thought I was through. I had to let go of that cow so I could see all the other possibilities. Anyway, I want to thank Maurice for helping me to let go of that cow. Thank you Maurice for playing Apollo to my Dionysus in art's Cartesian dialectic. And thanks to you, Ed, cause the truth shall set us free! And Maggie, thank you for sharing in the destruction of your house so that today we could have something to fling. I think Kierkegaard said it oh so well, 'The self is only that which it's in the process of becoming.' Art? Same thing. James Joyce had something to say about it too. 'Welcome, Oh Life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience, and to forge in the smythe of my soul the uncreated conscious of my race.' We're here today to fling something that bubbled up from the collective unconsciousness of our community. Ed, you about ready? The thing I learned folks, this is absolutely key: It's not the thing you fling. It's the fling itself. Let's fling something, Cicely! ”




View at YouTube

Now the reason I brought this all up.

Take a look at this photo:

A police officer examines an oddly placed piano in the woods of Harwich, Massachusetts.

Was it a theft? A prank? A roundabout effort to bring some holiday cheer to the police? Authorities in Harwich, Massachusetts, are probing the mysterious appearance of a piano, in good working condition, in the middle of the woods.

Discovered by a woman who was walking a trail, the Baldwin Acrosonic piano, model number 987, is intact -- and, apparently, in tune.

Sgt. Adam Hutton of the Harwich Police Department said information has been broadcast to all the other police departments in the Cape Cod area in hopes of drumming up a clue, however minor it may be.

But so far, the investigation is flat.

Also of note: Near the mystery piano -- serial number 733746 -- was a bench, positioned as though someone was about to play.

Full Story
Or maybe it is Chris who has come down from Alaska and is trying another bit of conceptual art. Or a fan of the show. Either way, no one so far has been hurt, and the piano is now in good hands, a bit cold, but none worse for wear.

1 comment:

Right Truth said...

I wonder how it could be in tune out in the damp cold weather. I can't keep mine in tune in the living room, ha.