Saturday, August 9, 2008

Warning From CNN


Normally I don't view CNN very closely. I find their anti-Semitic, anti-American rhetoric a bit too much for my taste (with an exception to Lou Dobbs). But when I saw this little ditty, I had to send out the warning.

Earlier this week, a spam message purporting to be from CNN began circulating the Internet. We decided to blog about this to alert those of you who hadn’t yet received it to be on the lookout for it; and also to assure those of you who did receive it that the message was NOT, in fact, from CNN.

As you may know, spammers often disguise or forge the source of their e-mail to give recipients the impression that the message derived from another system, especially one tied to a recognizable brand. In this instance, the spammer chose to use the CNN brand.

The message, claiming to contain CNN’s Top 10 news stories and videos of the day, is fraudulent and did not originate from CNN. If you have received it, we suggest that you delete it from your mailbox. Further, we recommend you delete any e-mail message from your mailbox that you believe may be illegitimate.

I personally have gotten these messages and like a smart computer user, deleted them as spam ASAP. They remind me of those e-mails from that Nigerian Prince, or the more recent ones offering me a job if I send them a bunch of money, and the ever popular you have been named as the beneficiary of a large estate (in Nigeria of course).

2 comments:

Right Truth said...

I think with most companies, you can forward the email to them and notify them of what's going on.

Forward to, in this case, abuse@CNN.com

WomanHonorThyself said...

ugh..dont u hate spam!!!